Director of Preschool Carol Scott Phone: (248) 853-2461
The preschoolers have begun to settle into the routine of school. Despite a few tears at the beginning, they are now coming through the doors smiling and eager to start their day. Our learning themes for this month have centered on school and friends for the three year olds. The teachers are helping the children to follow directions, to listen and to work together. These are essential steps to help the children learn in school.
The four year old classes worked on mixing colors to create new colors and then learned about God’s miracle of The Creation. They made pictures of their favorite creation story and talked about their ideas with their class friends.
It is wonderful to hear the children discuss in awe about all of the things we see around us that God made. When we take a walk outside with the children they find pleasure in the smallest things, such as listening to the birds singing or laughing at a squirrel following us on the path.
As teachers, when we work with the children, we learn to look at our world through their eyes and we rediscover the special world God made for us. The story of The Creation allows all of us to take time to appreciate the world God made. The children help us understand that God’s love is all around us. We are looking forward to growing and learning together with these children.
Please contact me if you have any questions at 248 243 0261 or email Carol Scott.
Pre-K Classes for 2017/2018
Four Year Old Classes
Children must be 4 by September 1st
The following classes will be available:
M/W/F 9:00 – 12:00pm (3 hours)
M-F 9:15 – 11:45pm (2½ hours)
M-TH 12:30 – 3:00pm (4 afternoons Sept to Dec) Stepping up to 5 afternoons Jan to May. (2½ hours)
M – Th 12.30 – 3.15pm (2¾ hours)
Three Year Old Classes
Children must be 3 by September 1st
The following classes will be available:
M/W 9:00 – 11:30am (2½ hours)
M/W/F 9:00 – 11:30am (2½ hours)
T/TH 9:00 – 11:30am (2½ hours)
T/TH/F 9:00 – 11:30am (2½ hours)
T/Th 9:30 – 12:00pm (2½ hours)
M/W/F 12:15 – 2:45pm (2½ hours)
Class Sizes and Ratios
3’s – 16 children per session with two teachers
4’s – 18 children per session with two teachers
Aspects of Our Program
- Our programs are progressive for academic and social instruction so that the children are able to adapt to their next level of learning.
- We provide religious instruction and prayer within our preschool topics.
- We keep portfolios on each child and encourage journal writing.
- Teachers assess children regularly and parent conferences are held twice during the academic year.
- The preschool has a securely locked hallway during class sessions with two exits in each classroom.
- We offer yearly hearing and vision screening through the Health Department for the four-year-olds in preparation for kindergarten.
- We offer a class library so students can “check out” books to take home twice a month.
- We have a gymnasium to utilize for a gross motor in addition to our outdoor enclosed climbing structure.
- Each classroom has its own bathroom.
- Each classroom has computer stations.
- We offer ‘Lunch with Teacher’ once a month as well as a special ‘Cooking Day’.
Philosophy We are a Catholic Preschool and believe in integrating a love of God in all of our activities in school. Children are active learners who learn best from pursuing their interests while being actively supported and challenged by their teachers. Our Curriculum is structured to engage the children purposefully and to provide for a full range of learning abilities. We recognize the importance of free play and structured play to support the specific learning goals we set for each child. Assessments are ongoing as teachers monitor and document each child’s progress over time. Parents are an essential part of a child’s success in school and we keep parents involved and informed throughout the school year.We strive to develop the whole child physically, socially, emotionally, intellectually and spiritually. We create a warm and inviting environment to learn through active play experiences. In a caring and positive atmosphere, we guide children to a good self-image and encourage children’s self-awareness of others.
Parent Visitation: We encourage parents to come and visit our school with their child. This offers an opportunity to see the program we are providing and how it suits your child.
Field Trips: As part of our curriculum we take several Field Trips during the year to reinforce our learning in the classroom. Parents accompany us on these field trips. Some of the places we visit are; The Zoo, Apple Orchard, Fire Station, Nature Center and local farms.