Mercy In Action Day, October 17
Parishes from across the Archdiocese of Detroit will be witnessing to the power of God’s Mercy during the Fifth Annual Mercy in Action Service Day on Saturday, October 17th! This event, hosted by individual vicariates and parishes at multiple locations, mobilizes thousands of volunteers who courageously engage in the Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy!
This year, St. Irenaeus, St. Mary’s of the Hills, and St. Andrew’s will be participating on a much smaller, socially-distanced level, but we still intend to make a huge impact on the community around us! We are offering a variety of on-site, at-home, and outdoor activities. Families and individuals are welcome to join in!
St. Mary of the Hills is coordinating:
- John R Adopt-a-Road clean up
- Lunch making for St. Al’s homeless in Detroit
- Sort baby items and more for Crossroads Care Center
- Help Neighborhood House by writing thank you notes and sorting food
St. Irenaeus invites you to:
- Make lunches! We’ll pack lunch bags for Baldwin, HOPE, Manna, Jail and Outreach Ministry, and make sandwiches for Sister Judie’s Outreach
- Make Rosaries for the missions
- Bake Cakes or Jell-O’s (in advance)
- Package desserts in individual-serving size containers for St. Pat’s Senior Ctr
- Pack Police Appreciation bags with notes of encouragement, snacks, and thoughtful gifts for our local police
- Make Love Blankets for St. Joe’s Hospital and St. Pat’s Senior Center
- Thinking of you gifts for our Samaritas First Friday friends
St. Andrew’s is hosting:
- Lunch-making for Baldwin Center
- Toiletry kit making for Wayne County Jail Chaplaincy
- Park clean-up in the Rochester Municipal Park
- Closing Prayer and Pizza by the Bell Tower. If possible bring diapers/wipes for Crossroads.
Participate from Home:
- At-home Activities—Families have an opportunity to make cards, draw pictures, and write notes at home and drop them off for our event…. (thinking of you notes for homebound, notes of appreciation for our police, cards for refugee children)… you can also jump on an intercessory prayer Zoom. St. Mary’s has an Art Contest, Neighborhood House 5K walk, the St. Francis Pledge to Care for Creation, and the Civilize It Pledge from the USCCB.
When you open the Sign Up Genius link…
On your computer... Mercy In Action 2020 click through the tabs at the top of the screen to see all your options.
On your phone... scroll through the rolling list of options at the top, and click "GO" to select a project.