Director of Preschool Carol Scott Phone: (248) 853-2461
The Preschoolers have returned to school from their Easter break. We heard about the relatives they visited and the excitement of hunting for Easter Eggs. We talked about where they went and how they celebrated with their families.
Our four-year-old classes are working on spring growth, and we are talking with the three-year-old classes about the weather changes that spring brings. It has been difficult for us to talk about signs of spring with the winter weather taking such a long time to leave! We took nature walks around the school to see if we could find new buds growing and birds making nests.
There are signs that spring is here as the children heard the birds singing and we were all delighted to see the grass again. It is easy to forget that the transformation from winter to spring is a special miracle. When we see it through the eyes of the children we are reminded of the goodness of God.
We are taking registrations for the fall programs in our three and four year old Pre-K classes. Please use the registration forms on our website at smoth.org if you would like to register your child for preschool. If you would like to visit the preschool, please call me at (248) 243-0261 or Email.
Carol Scott Preschool Director
Pre-K Classes for 2018/2019
Four Year Old Classes
Children must be 4 by September 1st
The following classes will be available:
M/W/F 9:00 – 12:00pm (3 hours)
M-F 9:15 – 11:45pm (2½ hours)
M-TH 12:30 – 3:00pm (4 afternoons Sept to Dec) Stepping up to 5 afternoons Jan to May. (2½ hours)
M – Th 12.30 – 3.15pm (2¾ hours)
Three Year Old Classes
Children must be 3 by September 1st
The following classes will be available:
M/W 9:00 – 11:30am (2½ hours)
M/W/F 9:00 – 11:30am (2½ hours)
T/TH 9:00 – 11:30am (2½ hours)
T/TH/F 9:00 – 11:30am (2½ hours)
T/Th 9:30 – 12:00pm (2½ hours)
M/W/F 12:15 – 2:45pm (2½ hours)
Class Sizes and Ratios
3’s – 16 children per session with two teachers
4’s – 18 children per session with two teachers
Aspects of Our Program
- Our programs are progressive for academic and social instruction so that the children are able to adapt to their next level of learning.
- We provide religious instruction and prayer within our preschool topics.
- We keep portfolios on each child and encourage journal writing.
- Teachers assess children regularly and parent conferences are held twice during the academic year.
- The preschool has a securely locked hallway during class sessions with two exits in each classroom.
- We offer yearly hearing and vision screening through the Health Department for the four-year-olds in preparation for kindergarten.
- We offer a class library so students can “check out” books to take home twice a month.
- We have a gymnasium to utilize for a gross motor in addition to our outdoor enclosed climbing structure.
- Each classroom has its own bathroom.
- Each classroom has computer stations.
- We offer ‘Lunch with Teacher’ once a month as well as a special ‘Cooking Day’.
Philosophy We are a Catholic Preschool and believe in integrating a love of God in all of our activities in school. Children are active learners who learn best from pursuing their interests while being actively supported and challenged by their teachers. Our Curriculum is structured to engage the children purposefully and to provide for a full range of learning abilities. We recognize the importance of free play and structured play to support the specific learning goals we set for each child. Assessments are ongoing as teachers monitor and document each child’s progress over time. Parents are an essential part of a child’s success in school and we keep parents involved and informed throughout the school year.We strive to develop the whole child physically, socially, emotionally, intellectually and spiritually. We create a warm and inviting environment to learn through active play experiences. In a caring and positive atmosphere, we guide children to a good self-image and encourage children’s self-awareness of others.
Parent Visitation: We encourage parents to come and visit our school with their child. This offers an opportunity to see the program we are providing and how it suits your child.
Field Trips: As part of our curriculum we take several Field Trips during the year to reinforce our learning in the classroom. Parents accompany us on these field trips. Some of the places we visit are; The Zoo, Apple Orchard, Fire Station, Nature Center and local farms.