SMYG (High School Youth Group)
SMYG (St. Mary’s Youth Group)
Phone: (248) 821-8686
How should Catholics vote? I receive this question all the time, and my answer is typically the same…with an informed conscience. In my role as Youth Minister, I try to speak to the proper process when deciding how to vote, not the candidate. In September, the Michigan Catholic Conference distributed a beautiful document on voting. SMYG used this document (Focus, Vol 48, no 3, September 2020) as the backdrop of our discussion. After breaking open each of the issues by providing a summary and tying each to a Saint of the Church, we held robust discussions. We closed with how Catholics are called to properly form their conscience. Here are the steps as presented in the document:
- Study Scripture, Catholic Social Teaching, and the lives of the saints.
- Pray for the gifts of the Holy Spirit—counsel, fear of the Lord, fortitude, knowledge, piety, understanding, and wisdom—to help guide the decision-making process.
- Regularly partake in an examination of conscience to hear God’s voice.
- Seek advice about conscience formation from trusted leaders when needed.
- Examine the facts and background information about a given choice.
The best way to stay connected to all things SMYG is by signing up to our SMYG REMIND. To join the SMYG 20-21 REMIND, please text @smygrocks to 81010. All of this year’s 9-12th graders should sign up to REMIND. SMYG news is usually sent out on Monday/Tuesday and Zoom links will be sent out right before the SMYG meeting (if we are meeting remotely). Also, permission forms, special event information, etc. is all sent through REMIND.
2019-2020 SMYG upcoming schedule
October 28, 2020 On-site SMYG meeting 7-9 PM
November 4, 2020 7-8 PM MSP (Zoom) 8-9 PM SMYG (Zoom)
November 11, 2020 On-site SMYG meeting 7-9 PM
November 18, 2020 7-8 PM MSP (Zoom) 8-9 PM SMYG (Zoom)
November 25, 2020 On-site SMYG meeting 7-9 PM
December 2, 2020 On-site SMYG meeting 7-9 PM
December 9, 2020 7-8 PM MSP (Zoom) 8-9 PM SMYG (Zoom)
December 16, 2020 On-site SMYG meeting 7-9 PM
December 23, 2020 No meeting
December 30, 2020 No meeting